UNI wins third straight duel

Pushing through the season with great force, the Panthers shut out Buffalo last Saturday. The 37-0 score brought the UNI wrestling team their sixth win of the season, making them 6-3 overall and kept them undefeated in the Mid-American Conference with a total 3-0.

Out of the ten weight classes, five UNI wrestlers earned bonus points for the team: Dylan Peters’ major decision at 125 pounds, Leighton Gaul’s fall at 133 pounds, Jarrett Jensen’s major decision at 157 pounds, Basil Minto’s major decision at 197 pounds and Blaize Cabell’s major decision from the heavyweight bracket.

Starting off the afternoon, Dylan Peters won by major decision against Buffalo’s Max Soria with 12-0. Peters is currently ranked second in the MAC over Soria, who is fourth.

In the 133 pound bout, Panther Leighton Gual took down Sean Peacock at 5:50, securing UNI’s second win of the night.

From the 141 pound weight class, Jake Hodges won by decision over Buffalo’s Rocco Russo with a final score of 9-2.

Yet another win came from UNI’s Gunnar Wolfensperger, taking Justin Cooksey by a close 10-8 decision in the 149 weight class. 

Panther Jarrett Jensen took home another victory for UNI in the 157 pound bout, shutting out Alex Smythe with 10-0.

Taylor Berger of UNI went up against Rrok Ndokaj of Buffalo, winning in overtime with a final score of 3-1 in the 165 weight class.

For the seventh victory of the meet, UNI’s 174 pound Curt Maas beat Muhamid McBryde with a 5-1 decision.

In the 184 pound weight class, Panther Cody Caldwell won by a 10-7 decision over Buffalo’s Brett Perry.

In the 197 pound bout, Basil Minto took another victory for UNI over James Benjamin with a 15-6 major decision.

Finishing out the night, Blaize Cabell secured his perfect season in the heavyweight category, taking Mike Silvis by major decision with a final score of 19-8. 

After their sweep on Saturday, UNI stays home for another meet this coming Friday, Jan. 16. Hoping to keep their undefeated record in the MAC, the Panthers will face Virginia Tech in the West Gym, starting at 7:00 p.m.