Panthers ground Redbirds

JORDAN JUNGE
The Panthers continue their reign of terror on the MVC as they remain undefeated in the conference.

UNI women’s volleyball ruined the Illinois State Redbirds in last Friday night’s whiteout. The Panthers would take the match 3-0 in a clean sweep. The set scores follow as 25-15, 25-22 and 25-20. The team continues their win streak, which is now 13. 

Going into the match the Redbirds also had a win streak of nine. Illinois State was looking to take down the Panther’s flawless conference record and end their three-game loss streak against the Panthers. After the loss, the Redbirds sit 9-2 in the conference, tied for second in the conference, and UNI has a four-game win streak against them. For the 10th time in program history, and second consecutive year in a row, the Panthers are 12-0 in the Missouri Valley Conference.  

In the first set, the Panthers would begin their run with a 5-0 lead. The Redbirds would try to claw their way back, but couldn’t handle outside hitter Kira Fallert, and middle blocker Layanna Green. The two would smash Illinois State with five kills each, allowing the Panthers a 25-15 set one victory. 

The Redbirds would respond early in set two with their own 5-0 lead against UNI. Unlike the Illinois State, the Panthers would respond to the 5-0 lead and bring it back to 5-5. The teams would trade points between blocks and attacks, but UNI would take away the second set victory 25-22. 

In the third and final set, the Panthers began with an early lead. The Redbirds would come back close later in the set, but couldn’t handle UNI’s defense and blocking. Setter Tayler Alden, would gain her third ace of the night in this set, and her specialties would primarily help the team complete their three set sweep over Illinois State. 

This marks the ninth three- set sweep this year for the Panthers in league play. The 12-0 team has otherwise won sets 3-1 in league play this season. Along with this, the team hasn’t dropped a single first set this season in league play.

The women’s volleyball team is setting some powerful personal records this season. Alden reached her 100th service ace while Emily Holterhaus, for her ninth straight match, continued to put up 10 or more kills in a match. Lastly, Erin Powers, who also has over 100 aces in her career, is four digs away from reaching the 1,500 career milestone.