UNI falls in first round of MVC Tournament

The Panthers finished the season with a record of 13-5-1.

The Panthers welcomed in the Valparaiso Crusaders for their first game of the Missouri Valley Conference tournament. 

The Panthers were aggressive on offense early, as Lauren Heinsch fired a shot that was saved by the Crusaders goalie. 

Olivia Knoepfle and Ashley Harrington were able to get two more shots on goal within the first 10 minutes but were unable to connect. 

The Crusaders finally got their first shot on goal 12 minutes into the game, but couldn’t connect.

The Panthers created more offensive opportunities just after the 10-minute mark with three shots on goal. Heinsch and Allison Groothuis fired shots but they were saved by the Crusaders. Just after the 20-minute mark, Maddie Eastus had an opportunity but missed high and to the right.

Just after the 20-minute mark, the Crusaders started creating some momentum offensively with four shots on goal. Panther goalie Caitlin Richards held her own, saving three of the four shots with the other attempt sailing over the goal. 

The Panthers had two more opportunities under the 30-minute mark, but they couldn’t get on the board. 

The Crusaders were held without a shot on goal the rest of the first half, as the score remained 0-0 going into the second half. 

The Crusaders were aggressive on offense to start the half, with two shot attempts. Both sailed wide over the goal. 

Soon after, Caroline Hazen and Olivia Bohl both tried to get the Panther offense going with two shots on goal, but neither could break the scoreless tie. 

With 63:58 on the game clock, the Valparaiso offense scored and took a 1-0 lead. 

Just under the 70-minute mark, Eastus tried to tie the game but her shot missed right of the goal. 

Neither team would have another shot on goal until the 85-minute mark. 

The Panthers had a couple more opportunities to tie the game, but both attempts missed. 

Valparaiso would go on to win 1-0 and advance to the next round of the tournament. 

The Panthers end the year with an overall record of 13-5-1, their best season since 2017. Knoepfle led the team with nine goals on the season, with Heinsch right behind her with seven.