UNI looks to dethrone Shockers

University of Northern Iowa’s game versus Wichita State University is the biggest one of the year. The Wichita State game is the certified platinum of UNI’s schedule. 

This match-up on ESPN is a battle of two top twenty rated teams. The game is also for the supremacy of the Missouri Valley Conference. Wichita State has been the king of the mountain for some time in the MVC, winning their last 25 conference games. 

Since Northern Iowa’s last regular season conference title in 2010, Wichita State has won two of the past four regular season championships and one tournament championship. All great things come to an end, and this year’s Panther team can dethrone the Shockers.

While the Shockers give up 56.4 points per game, Northern Iowa gives up 54.9 points per game. Northern Iowa is ranked 31st in the nation in field goal percentage with .476 while Wichita is 97th with .452. The Panthers have nine players average at least 15 minutes a game while no one goes over 30 minutes. 

On the other side, Wichita State has six players average at least 15 minutes a game while three players go over 30 minutes. 

UNI will take advantage of this depth. Wichita State will not know which Panther will have the hot hand. It could be Seth Tuttle, Wes Washpun or Marvin Singleton. For Wichita State, it is going to be Ron Baker. He averages the most minutes per game while leading the team in points per game. The Panthers’ strong team defense will swallow him up.

The case against Northern Iowa winning is Wichita averages more points, rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals per game. While statistics are important, they do not mean anything in one particular game. The Shockers have to play in the McLeod Center, and the atmosphere will be strong for this game. Whether it is from ESPN broadcasting the matchup, the battle for first in the MVC, or being the best opponent UNI will see at the McLeod, this game will be memorable. 

A win against Wichita solidifies Northern Iowa’s March Madness bid. By beating Wichita, the Panthers will lay the groundwork to be a mid-major power in the future years.