UNI sweeps at Coyote Extravaganza

UNI ATHLETICS
The women’s swim and dive team traveled to Sioux Falls, S.D. to compete in the Coyote Extravaganza.

UNI Women’s Swim and Dive had themselves a weekend at the Coyote Extravaganza sweeping the meet and beating South Dakota, South Dakota State, Augustana (S.D.), St. Cloud State, and Sioux Falls. 

The Panthers kicked off the Extravaganza on Friday night with the 400-yard medley relay with Scout Bergwall, Amber Finke, Abby Lear and Sydney Aird that took second place with a time of 3:53.96. Olivia Chambers finished second in the relay performance in the 1,000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:40.08. Chambers went on to win a narrow finish in the 500-yard freestyle.

Finke would go on to take first in a pair of events during Friday night’s competition in the 100-yard backstroke, with a time of 56.39, and the 200-yard freestyle, with a time of 1:53.40. Faith Larsen, who is the reigning MVC champion in the 50-yard freestyle, would take first in the event with a time of 23.76 seconds. 

Aird got a win in the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 4:41.70, and Morgan Meyer got gold in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 52.78. Larsen, Meyer, Taylor Short and Clare Christensen locked in the first night of competition with a second-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:36.22.

On the second day of action the Panthers continued to roll, starting off with the 200-yard medley relay with the team of Finke, Bergwall, Lear and Ema Lavigne that took third place with a time of 1:47.44. Larsen went on to win the 50-yard freestyle for the second day in a row. Larsen and Meyer finished first and second in the 100-yard freestyle, with Larsen recording a winning time of 52.32. Meyer also went on to take first in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:53.98.

In the 200-yard individual medley, Finke had a time of 2:07.79 for a victory and she also went on to win the 200-yard backstroke by six seconds with a time of 2:01.78. Chambers went on to get second place in the 1,650-yard freestyle  with a time of 18:22.67 and also took third in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 5:18.36. Freshman Nikki Walters placed third in the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 2:12.85, while Bergwall took fourth with a time of 2:13.18 in the event. 

UNI closed out the swimming portion of the weekend with the 400-yard freestyle relay clinching gold with a time of 3:30.88 with a team that consisted of Larsen, Meyer, Short and Lear. 

On the diving aspect of things, Erica Peters led the Panthers on the one-meter boards with a score of 245.40 that placed her second overall. Trista Thompson followed Peters to finish fourth with a score of 237.10. Avery Hogan went on to place fifth in the one-meter boards with a score of 234.15. On the three-meter boards, Maddie Moran placed fifth with a score of 231.10, while Hannah Taylor placed sixth with a score of 227.50.