Panthers unlucky on Friday the 13th, fall to Drake, 87-67

Friday the 13th spelled doom for the University of Northern Iowa women’s basketball team, as they were trounced by rival Drake 87-67 at the Knapp Center in Des Moines. This was the second meeting this season for these two teams, with Drake winning the last one as well at the McLeod Center.

In the first half, UNI kept it close, usually having an answer for the hometown Bulldogs, but they were still playing from behind. They went into the locker room down just 36-33 at halftime. However, Drake began to heat up in the second half.

Drake came out with a run to push their lead to double digits, but UNI was able to answer and cut the lead back down. After a few more runs, Drake pushed the lead back to double digits and they didn’t look back from there.  

UNI had three players scoring in double figures. Freshman Ellie Herzberg had another solid performance, leading the team with 17 points and a season high 8 rebounds. Herzberg was joined by Madison Weekly and Stephanie Davison with 15 points apiece.  

UNI now falls to 12-11 overall and 8-4 in the Missouri Valley Conference. They will look to bounce back Friday, Feb. 20 at home versus Indiana State. The game will tip-off at 7 p.m. UNI won the last meeting 57-55 in Indiana.