Five champs crowned at Daktronics Open

STEPH STARK
141 lb. Cael Happel won the Daktronics Open title in his weight for the second year in a row.

The UNI Panthers wrestling team traveled to Brookings, South Dakota last weekend to compete in the Daktronics Open hosted by South Dakota State. UNI returned home at the top of the charts with five titles and 23 individual medalists. 

Cael Happel won his second straight Daktronics Open title in the 141 pound weight class by pinning Zach Redding of Iowa State in the championship match. Adam Allard won his first collegiate title in the 149 pound weight class with a 3-0 day. 

Ryder Downey continued the streak of Panther titles in the 157 pound bracket by going 3-0 on the day, while Jared Simma won his three highly contested matches in the 174 pound class to take the title. 

Wyatt Voelker rounded out the Panthers victorious day by sweeping his four matches at the 197 pound weight class to win his fourth open title of his career. 

To go along with the five titles, 12 Panthers finished top three in their respective weight class. Those Panthers are listed below: 

125 – Trever Anderson (3rd place) 

133 – Julian Farber (2nd place) 

149 – Ethan Basile (2nd place) 

149 – Cael Rahnavardi (3rd place) 

157 – RJ Weston (2nd place) 

165 – Evan Yant (2nd place) 

165 – Izzy Moreno (3rd place) 

174 – Carson Babcock (2nd place) 

174 – Kaleb Olejniczak (3rd place) 

184 – CJ Walrath (2nd place) 

197 – Kalob Runyon (3rd place) 

285 – Jose Valdez (2nd place) 

UNI will return to action on Dec. 2 at the Jim Koch Open in Kenosha, Wis. As well as Dec. 1-2 at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invite. 

The Panthers will then host Columbia in the McLeod Center on Dec. 10 at 2 p.m. for their first home meet of the season. This match can be streamed via FlowWrestling with an account subscription.