UNI falls to rival ISU 24-12, Cabell can’t be tamed, streak continues

The UNI wrestlers had their hands full this weekend in Ames. Taking on the Cyclones, UNI fell against their neighboring rivals, but Panther Blaize Cabell couldn’t be tamed as he went on to earn his 12th dual victory — staying undefeated for the season.                Cabell was the first victor of the night for UNI, going up against Cyclone’s heavyweight Quean Smith. Fighting through a scoreless first period, Cabell won by a 5-2 decision, setting the stage for Panther Dylan Peters.

Peters battled ISU’s Kyle Larson for 2 minutes and 57 seconds in the first period. With three seconds left, he earned a fall against Larson. This was Peters’ 28th career fall at UNI, putting him in the record books on campus for a second time.

Three matches after Peters, Panther Jarrett Jensen came out for the third and final UNI victory of the night. Jensen’s 4-2 decision over Cyclone Luke Goettl in the 157 lbs. bout took the meet total up to 21-12, but wasn’t enough to come back against the Cyclones.

The final score, 24-12, took UNI down to a season total of 7-8 in duals, but didn’t change their MAC total of 4-3. ISU advances 10-2 in duals and 2-1 in the Big 12 conference.

As the MAC Tournament and NCAA Championships approach, UNI’s dual season comes to a close this Friday, Feb. 20 as they host Old Dominion in the West Gym at 7 p.m.

Following their final dual, the MAC Tournament will take place March 7 and 8 in Columbia, Missouri.