CAB hosts first Movie Night

KRISTIN MOOS
Movie display of the new “Hunger Games movie, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” at the Marcus College Square Cinema.

The Campus Activities Board (CAB) hosted its first movie night at Marcus College

Square Cinema on Thursday. Chase Strenhagen, the organizer and Director of Membership at CAB reported that the event was at max, as about 150 students registered for the movie night, a showing of The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. At the theatre, students enjoyed free popcorn and a choice of soda.

According to Strenhagen, other movies CAB has played on campus, such as Back to

the Future or In the Heights, have not attracted crowds in the past few years. “We noticed that it seems like the movies we show in the ballroom, every time less and less people come. I mean, they’re movies that have been out for a while. So I brought up the idea of ” what if we go and see a newer movie in theaters where students get free tickets, free food or drink,” he said.

Strenhagen felt that the new Hunger Games prequel would attract college students.

“Our generation grew up with the franchise,” he said. Several students who attended the event echoed Strenhagen’s assertion.

“I read the books when I was in middle school and I thought it would be a fun thing to

do with my friends,” said Annabelle Carrigan, a first-year student. Another student, second-year Emili Johnson, has read the books more recently. “I started reading them last year, and now I’m currently reading the Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. And I thought the movie would be fun to see in theaters,” she said.

Given the success of the event, Strenhagen is hopeful that movie nights at Marcus

Theatre will continue next year. “I would like people to carry on this tradition. I’m a senior so I won’t be planning events for CAB next year. But hopefully, they do something similar to this,” he said.

1. Other popular events CAB has hosted this year include After Dark and Casino Night.