Panthers show out at Hawkeye Invitational

UNI ATHLETICS
The Panthers set several records at the Hawkeye Invitational.

The UNI divers had a very successful weekend at the Hawkeye Invitational setting not only new collegiate records but new program records for the Panthers. The Panthers opened up competition on Thursday with the one-meter springboard in which junior Abby Hutchins qualified for the A-final with a career-best score of 255.70 in the preliminary round. 

Freshman Avery Hogan placed ninth overall with a collegiate best dive of a 259.25, which boosted her up to seventh place on the UNI top-ten list. Teammates Erica Peters and Trista Thompson followed closely behind, with Peters posting a 254.15 and Thompson with a 249.30. Both beat their previous collegiate highs and Peters was able to crack the UNI top-ten list for the first time this season. Hannah Taylor also had a collegiate best performance at the meet, notching a 227.75 on the one-meter boards and helping secure a 13th place finish overall in the event. 

Next was the three-meter springboards and the Panthers kept the fire going. Peters and Hogan both qualified for the A-final with Hogan racking up another career best of 253.40 but bumped it up a notch in the finals, recording a 276.85. That performance granted her sixth place overall in the meet and bumped her up to fourth overall on the UNI top-ten list in just her first year as a Panther. 

In the preliminary round, Peters scored a personal best of 274.15, which also helped to gain eighth place overall in the event and boost her position on the UNI top-ten list to sixth overall. With a score of 250.75, Thomson took home ninth just squeezing past teammate Maddie Moran who ended with a score of 250.55.

The Panthers are back on Dec. 16 as UNI hosts the Panther Diving Invite at the Glen F. Henry Pool in Cedar Falls. The full swimming and diving crew will be back in action January 13 for a home dual against Iowa State.