UNI bows out of WNIT at the hands of Mizzou

The University of Northern Iowa Women’s basketball season came to a close over spring break.  The team fell short of extending their season to the second round of the WNIT at the hands of the Missouri Tigers in the McLeod Center.  

UNI held a lead early in the game, leading by as much as seven, before Mizzou took over towards the end of the opening stanza, giving UNI a four-point deficit at the break.  

In the second half, the Panthers kept clawing away at the lead, but Mizzou had an answer for each run.  The visiting Tigers owned a 10-point lead halfway through the second half, but UNI remained composed and fought back.  

A pair of free throws from Madison Weekly cut the lead to just three, but Mizzou was able to hold on for a 69-61 victory. Statistically, the two teams were almost identical except for one category, rebounding, which Mizzou owned an 11-rebound advantage.

UNI lead in scoring by 15 points of the bench from Stephanie Davison.  Weekly tossed in 14 points and four assists, while senior guard Brooke Brown finished her career with 11 points.  

UNI finishes the season 17-15.  Look for the Panthers next year, however, as they return to this season’s young talent.  They will look to build on their winning record and avoid the injuries that plagued this tough team over the course of the season and take the next step.