UNI throwers shine, sweep three of four events

UNI’s Track and Field team competed in Mount Vernon, IA this weekend at the Cornell Invitational. Out-throwing the competition, both men and women placed top four in every throwing event. Taking home multiple first place titles were Panthers Justin Baker and Jamie Lindstrom.

The lady Panthers had an incredible meet, taking first in three of the four throwing events and placing top four in all of them. 

Jamie Lindstrom led the hammer throw with a first place distance of 53.04 m. 

In the discus competition, Chloe Schmidt took first with a distance of 44.98 m Following her lead, Sarah Pate and Lindstrom placed third and fourth respectively in the discus throw. 

Taking her second title of the night, Lindstrom led the shot put, as well, with her 14.78 m throw. In addition to Lindstrom’s lead, Pate and Schmidt took second and fourth in the shot put throw, with less than a two-meter difference between them. 

Finally, Lindstrom came in second in the javelin throw with 34.01 m, officially placing in all four events. 

The Panther men took first in three of the four throwing events as well. 

Justin Baker earned the shot put title of the night with a throw of 16.82 m., followed by Panther Brad Walski 16.15 m. throw for second. 

Earning his first collegiate win with a distance of 46.25, was Jake Humpal in the discus throw. Additionally, UNI took second, third and fourth in the discus throw. 

Baker’s second win came in the hammer throw, with a distance of 61.52 m. Baker is dangerously close to the school record with his performance, earning him UNI’s second longest mark in the event.

Finally, Humpal took third for the Panthers in the javelin throw, with a distance of 38.75 m.

Next weekend, the Panthers will visit Lincoln, Neb. competing in the Husker Spring Invite.