State Senator Giddens to host drop-by event on campus

State Senator Giddens invites students to share their concerns about what the state is doing with him in Maucker Union’s State College Room this Friday.

Students will have the opportunity to express concerns, questions and feedback to Iowa State Senator Eric Giddens this Friday, Feb. 23 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. in Maucker Union’s State College Room.

Giddens said anyone is welcome, and his goal with this drop-by event is to listen to UNI students as he continues his job up at the Statehouse.

“If you feel like you have something to say, come share,” Giddens said. “If you have concerns about what the state is doing, come and share those. If you see things the state government is doing that you like, I want to hear that too.”

He continued by saying he wants to hear from students what the State of Iowa could be doing to keep more young people in the state.

“I want to be doing what I can to support,” He said. “I want UNI students to see this state as an attractive option for them after they graduate, and so the only way to really do that is for me to hear from UNI students with what we can be doing better to support you in your future.”

Giddens said this will be a great opportunity for students to get their voices heard when it comes to certain policies they may be concerned about.

“I can take those concerns back to Des Moines and can try to influence my colleagues to listen a little bit more to your concerns because young people are the future of this state. And without young people, I have serious concerns about the future.”

Giddens previously worked at the Center for Energy and Environmental Education on UNI’s campus, and he said he is excited to be back on campus.

“I love UNI, and I’m excited to be back on Friday, meet with UNI students and just listen. I hope we have a good strong turnout.”