Track and field fall short

The UNI Track and Field athletes traveled to Lincoln, Neb. this Saturday to compete in the Husker Spring Invitational. Both the men and women’s teams finished fourth overall and proudly came home with a few records as well.

The Panther women placed in a number of running events to kick off the invite. In the 400-meter run, Darian Samuelson took first with a time of 55.79 seconds. Alex Wilson fought for first in the 800, but fell to second place with a time of 2:10.93., and a mere one second difference between her and the first place runner.

Taking both first and second place in the 400-meter hurdle were Panthers Holly Salzbrenner and Jennifer Roberts with times of 1:02.20 and 1:03.00, respectively.

The Panther men and women both took third in their 4×400 meter relays as well. The lady Panthers finished with a combined time of 3:49.92. The men fought for the relay’s title, but ended 0:00.70 away from the leading North Dakota State team, with a finish time of 3:20.08.

Sophomore Brandon Carnes found his personal best time in the 200, earning first with a time of 20.80. Competing in the 100 as well, Carnes took second with a time of 10.59.

UNI found their fourth first place in the men’s triple jump with Shawn Koch’s total of 15.05m.

On the field side of the meet, Justin Baker claimed second with his 58.44m hammer throw. Throwing for the women, Jamie Lindstrom threw her personal best hammer throw with a distance of 52.57m.

Coming up, the Panthers will head to Los Angeles, California to compete in the Mt. Sac Relays this Thursday through Saturday April 16-18.