NBA picks: Hawks fly away with O’Brien trophy

The National Basketball Association season is winding down. Teams like the New York Knicks, Philadelphia 76ers and the Los Angeles Lakers are shutting it down after April 15. Others teams like the Toronto Raptors, Houston Rockets and the Portland Trail Blazers are gearing up for the postseason. A common ending for these six teams is that none will win the championship. Only three teams in the NBA have a chance to bring home the hardware: the Golden State Warriors, San Antonio Spurs and the Atlanta Hawks.

MVP candidate and sharpshooter Stephen Curry, has helped lead the Golden State Warriors to a point differential of 10.3. Draymond Green’s versatility allows the Warriors to play small and disrupt opposing lineups. They also are the best three-point shooting team in the NBA with a .396 average. This team has the firepower to make a deep postseason run. The biggest concern for the Warriors is first-year coach, Steve Kerr. While his success in the regular season is impressive, the playoffs are a different animal.

The San Antonio Spurs are the next team with a serious chance at the championship. The defending champions experienced rough patches this season, like when they lost nine of thirteen games. Yet, they are currently experiencing an 11-game winning streak. Part of this late season surge is thanks to Kawhi Leonard, who is averaging over three steals and 19 points a game this month.

This level of play, combined with the experience of legendary coach Gregg Popovich, allows the Spurs to contend for another the championship run. The main issue going against the Spurs this year (and every year) is their age. Of the seven players who play over 20 minutes a game, four players are over the age of 32. This may prove costly against younger, more athletic teams in the Western Conference.

The last team with a chance to bring home championship hardware is the Atlanta Hawks. The team has the fourth best defense in the association. While the Warriors and the Spurs have well-known stars, the Hawks are the definition of team oriented. All five starters for Atlanta average over 30 minutes a game while averaging in double digits for points. With second year coach and former Spurs assistant, Mike Budenholzer, this team will benefit from his smarts and experience in the playoffs. 

Though the Hawks have no established star, they are my pick to win the NBA championship. A team who plays this great style of team basketball deserves the championship. The Spurs are old, and the Warriors are still young. The Hawks have young veterans with the experience to make a deep and successful playoff run.

For this reason, Atlanta will celebrate their first NBA championship since beating Red Auerbach’s Boston Celtics as the St. Louis Hawks.