The biggest boxing match ever

Attention: everybody mark your calendars for May 2.  The biggest boxing match ever is set to take place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, featuring Floyd “Money” Mayweather (record of 47-0 with 26 knockouts) vs. Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao (record of 57-5-2 with 38 knockouts).  Mayweather is 38-years-old and Pacquiao is 36, so neither competitor is in their prime. 

This epic match up would’ve been a lot better if it took place five years ago, but the deal took too long to reach an agreement. But better late than never. It was hard to get these boxing stars to match up with each other for a number of reasons.

Speculation suggests that Mayweather was difficult to get on board for the fight. Some say that Mayweather believed Pacquiao was on steroids, and others think Money was just flat out afraid of Pacman.

Let’s be honest, Mayweather definitely has a lot more to lose than Pacquiao. Mayweather could hang up the gloves without a blemish on the loss column and still go directly in the category of best boxers ever (which he will, regardless of how this fight unfolds). However, he would always have that bag of dirty laundry hanging over him of never fighting Manny, while Manny has everything to gain with the chance to pull off a huge upset and be the first ever to beat Floyd. 

Thankfully, the people got what they wanted, as a deal was made a couple months ago after an unplanned encounter between the two at a Miami Heat basketball game. They talked at halftime at center court, where they shook hands and exchanged telephone numbers. One thing lead to another, and bam, we’ve got ourselves a fight. 

What made Money come around? I think some of it had to do with pride and wanting to shut up all of his critics, but I’m saying it came down to the money. The boxers agreed that Mayweather will command a 60-40 split of profits, which, based on earlier projections, could total $120 million for Floyd and $80 million for Manny. This would make this the highest-grossing fight in history. Just a quick side note on Floyd Mayweather: he is the richest athlete in the world and is wearing a mouth guard for the fight worth $25,000 made of gold, diamonds and $100 bills, which solidifies his nickname “Money”. 

I’m sure most of you are aware of the upcoming showdown coming up May 2. Unless you’ve been living under a rock the last couple months, it has been dominating headlines, all over social media and has been a main topic of discussion on ESPN. 

There have been debates, trash talk and everything you could want for pre-fight hype. Seriously, if you want to get excited for the fight, just watch one episode of the sports talk show “First Take” with Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless; they’ll get you psyched.

Now that I have you all excited, time for the bad news: this event is only shown on pay-per-view and will cost about $90 to witness this history. Let’s hope it’s worth every penny. 

I am definitely no huge boxing fan, but I guarantee that I will have my eyes glued to this legendary match on May 2.

This fight should be worth the wait, and over five years of buildup will finally come to an end while we have these two boxing geniuses duke it out in the most highly anticipated boxing match in history.