Acting wrong: Why athletes should stay out of Tinseltown

Cinema and sports have existed in the United States for generations. These two unrelated fields have come together at times, but seldom have these collaborations done well. Athletes never make good actors, unless they are ones who end up in jail (I am looking at you, O.J.). 

Films like “Thunderstruck” and “Kazaam” are embarrassing for anyone watching or participating in. Terry Bradshaw’s acting ability carried “Failure to Launch” to a solid 24 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

These days, athletes appear in cinema because they want to “build” their brand. This crossover should be left alone. Athletes need to stay out of cinema, because they are leaving themselves open to criticism. Athletes are trash talkers, and when an athlete performs terrible on the court, they get ripped apart. Imagine the amount of trash talk they get for being in a wreck of a film. Athletes are self-conscious, so it is surprising they have not noticed what a bad film can do to their image. 

Athletes should instead focus on their respective sports, because they get paid the big bucks to play them. Leave films to the actors making the big bucks to be on the set.    

Sport films are better when actors are playing the roles instead of star athletes. “Remember the Titans,” “Caddyshack” and “We Are Marshall” are films that succeeded at the box office and in the eyes of critics. No professional athletes were used in these films, so the formula is simple.

While the 1996 hit film, “Space Jam” remains popular with any 90’s child, it is worth looking at critically. Michael Jordan’s acting ability in this film is supremely propped up by “Looney Tunes.” If his acting ability translated into his basketball game, he would be out of the league within two games. 

Fortunately for Jordan, his acting ability holds up against the 1996 commercial and critical flop, “Kazaam,” starring Shaquille O’Neal. 

The film did not make back its $20 million budget at the box office.

All of these reasons point to why athletes should not be in films. Stop making the money grab, athletes and film studios. 

It is hurting the wallets and intelligence of the viewers. Respectable actors can portray respectable athletes, while superstar athletes play terrible characters. Save Americans from wasting of their time.