UNI to introduce tag as new sport

COURTESY/WORLD CHASE TAG
UNI will be tagging soon.

The French Fry is completely satire. Any resemblance to any real person is completely coincidental. The statements in the French Fry do not reflect the views of the Northern Iowan, nor do they reflect the views of the advertisements outside of this insert. 

The University of Northern Iowa is adding a professional tag team. 

Yep. You read that right. A professional tag team. 

The university announced on Monday, April 1, that the addition of a professional tag team will be in effect at the start of the 2024-25 school year. Professional tag has been a hot topic among the NCAA, with over 50 Division I teams adding a team in the past couple months. 

The rules of tag are quite simple. Each team will have three rounds to be the “tagging team.” The “tagging team” will elect a player to do the tagging for each round, and each round must have a new player. The tagger must tag the opposing five players as quickly as possible. After three rounds are complete, the team with the lowest amount of time will be victorious. There is a 20-player max to each team. 

UNI also announced that freshman Emerson Hahn will be the head coach. Hahn comes from a prestigious coaching background, coaching tag for the past five years at Bishop Sycamore University. He led the Centurions to three championships in his illustrious run. He also coached 8U flag football for three years. He led his team to a 19-5 record, including two Super Bowl appearances and one championship. 

“I am very excited to be the first head coach of the UNI tag team,” Hahn said. “I am looking forward to seeing what the players have to offer and I am ready to represent the school with class and dignity.”

Hahn’s team will be led by star freshman kinesiology major Taren Leichliter. Leichliter is a native of Point Nemo, which is literally in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, isolated from human activity. There, he trained every day since he was four years old, hoping for an opportunity like this to arise. Leichliter showed large amounts of promise during the capture the flag game at the CAB welcome event in August. Leichliter helped team purple secure the win by snatching the flag and bravely running it back through enemy territory. 

“I was impressed with the grit that he showed during capture the flag,” coach Hahn said about Leichliter. “I think his speed, athleticism and knowledge of the game will translate to tag and help our team significantly.”

Leichliter and the UNI Panther tag team agreed to a four-year deal that gives him unlimited dining dollars and also includes a parking pass that allows him to park anywhere on campus without getting a ticket. As for the rest of the team, open tryouts will be available at the Towers soccer field on April 4 from 4-5pm. Email [email protected] for any further questions.