UNI Now kicks off the School Year

KATERINE JAMTGAARD, Staff Writer

Between the dates of Aug. 16 and Aug. 22, campus was bursting with activities and programs due to UNI Now, an “extended orientation program that takes place prior to Welcome Week,” according to Kristen Aldrich, a graduate student for post-second education: student affairs.

The program, created for freshmen and transfer students, brings students to campus earlier than past years to become more familiar with the campus and UNI community.

“I think it helps students get to know their future classmates and possible lifelong friends earlier,” said Aldrich. “Most of the programming really focused on students getting to know each other in their living communities and many of the rotations that took place on Friday, August 21, were in houses of each residence hall.”

Returning students were able to volunteer on the Cat Crew, which helped lead groups to locations across campus and act as resources. Lauren Janning, junior biology major, volunteered for UNI Now because it gave her the opportunity to spread her love of UNI to new students.

“Having just finished my first year, I knew the struggles I had faced and what could be done to minimize those hardships for incoming students,” said Janning. “UNI Now gave me the opportunity to reach out and become a resource for these students while sharing my love for the university and all it has to offer.” Janning also said that she is “making it a priority to be a part of Cat Crew and the UNI Now Program for the next few years.”

With this being UNI Now’s first year, there were some concerns, but Janning was confident that the program was benefiting students that attended.

“With any new program comes a few anxieties, but not once have I felt that UNI Now isn’t benefiting some student in one way or another. I’ve seen the formation of countless friendships, expanding personalities, diminishing levels of stress, and most importantly, growing passions for UNI,” said Janning.

Some of the programs included a diversity breakout session, UNIty Matters, which talked about how diversity matters, a Panther Kickoff in McLeod that focused on UNI’s traditions, as well as Midnight Breakfast Bingo in the dining centers.

Aldrich especially enjoyed the “Take a Seat and Make a Friend” activity. “It was an activity that took place on Friday, Aug. 21 near the campanile where two students who didn’t know each other could sit in a blown up pool filled with purple and yellow ball-pit balls and toss a larger ball back and forth with questions to get to know each other,” said Aldrich. “It really got students engaged in simple conversations they might not have just started on the first day of classes.”

As for the message that UNI Now has, Janning said, “I personally wanted the students to feel as though UNI could become their new home. The program allowed for students to meet up with their peers and on-campus residence hall neighbors (family), got them caught up on the history of UNI (traditions), and provided them with encouragement in order to cherish their time here on campus (love). We wanted every student to feel as though they belong at UNI.”

Aldrich expects big things for the future of UNI Now.

“I think the first year is always a learning experience with a new program like UNI Now and with social media being a great tool to market, I think we’ll find out how to best reach the next incoming class about this amazing program,” said Aldrich