Getting advice from the doctor himself

KAYLEEN TURNIS, Staff Writer

The Old Central Ballroom was packed full of students wanting to hear from Comedian “Dating Doctor” David Coleman.

Coleman lives by the motto, “Where is it said that learning can’t be fun and entertainment can’t be life- changing?”

Coleman’s goals for his shows are to make sure they are packed full with knowledge, interaction and laughter so students can walk out of the room and feel like part of their lives are changed for the better.

“I love it for the feedback I get and to change lives for the better,” said Coleman. “Eighty percent of the crowd will love my show, 10 percent will think ‘eh’ and the other 10 percent will think, ‘you’re an idiot.’”

Coleman began the show by explaining his four rules and his philosophies. He wants to be an advocate in the relationship world saying, “It doesn’t matter to me WHAT you are, it only matters to me HOW you are!”

Throughout the 75-minute show, Coleman discussed several topics including pick-up lines, the ABC’s of initial interest, break-ups, nine signs of getting hit on, long-distance relationships, friend-zones and seven qualities to look for in a partner.

Coleman added a “five minute frenzy” which allowed students to ask him any questions about romance, dating, men, women, relationships and sex. The questions varied from his thoughts on long-distance relationships to how to get to know others. Students were able to stay after the show to talk to Coleman one-on-one.

Jayd Brown, freshman elementary education major, was very interested and excited before the show.

“I got an email about the upcoming events on campus,” said Brown. “I just broke up with my long-term boyfriend, so I wanted to check this out.”

Brown came with her friend Rebekah Stevens, freshman deciding major. Both said they are looking for boyfriends and thought Coleman’s show would be helpful to attend.

“I read about the event three days ago on the UNI website, forgot about it, and a couple of girls asked if I was going, and I said sure,” said Paul Kubrak, freshman deciding major. “I thought he was really good at hitting every aspect; he was very helpful, and it was awesome he came.”

Coleman offered some advice for students to take home with them. “You will not find the right person until you become the right person.”