UNI splits four game stretch in four days

ZACH HUNTLEY, Sports Writer

The UNI volleyball team took on four schools in four days this past week.  Facing Iowa State on Wednesday, Sept. 16, Western Kentucky on the 18th, and both Alabama and Northern Illinois on the 19th, the Panthers claimed two victories—posting them 6-7 overall.

Taking on their local rivals at the Hilton Coliseum, UNI fell to Iowa State, 0-3, with set scores 17-25, 23-25 and 16-25. Freshman Panther Bri Weber continued to show her strength as she executed her seventh consecutive double-double of the season with 10 kills and 14 digs.

Going into their eleventh match of the season, the Panthers headed for DeKalb, IL to compete in the Huskie Invitational.

Although they fell to Western Kentucky on Friday by set scores of 22-25, 15-25, 25-22 and 15-25, the Panther women reached a number of milestones with their personal performances. Recording nine kills against WKU, junior Kayla Haneline notched the 500th kill of her career. Junior Amie Held recorded a team-best with 14 digs. Freshman Piper Thomas also set a career-high six blocks—taking six of the 10 that UNI posted against the Hilltoppers.

Shifting their momentum, UNI beat the Alabama Crimson Tide with set scores of 29-27, 20-25, 25-23 and 27-25. Individually, Held recorded her career-best 30 digs—officially the fifth-highest total in UNI history. Sophomore Heather Hook notched a triple-double with seven kills 10 digs and 52 assists. Junior Lindsey Schulz’s 14 kills made for a season-high. Haneline took 16 more kills against the Crimson Tide, looking to pass the 600 mark.

Powering through another 3-1 victory, UNI took the Northern Illinois Huskies by set scores of 22-25, 25-23, 25-21 and 25-21. Weber tied her career-high 18 kills while Thomas notched three service aces and 11 kills. Overall, the Panthers bested the Huskies by 8-3 in service aces.

Coming up this weekend, UNI will host the Missouri Valley Conference in the McLeod Center. Taking on Southern Illinois at 7 p.m. on Friday and Evansville at 7 p.m. on Saturday, the Panthers look to improve their 6-7 season record.