Think you’ve had fun? The week’s not over yet

CLINTON OLSASKY, Executive Editor | [email protected]

UNI’s Homecoming week is already well underway, but the second half of the week still has many events students can attend.

On Thursday, the Campus Activities Board (CAB) is bringing in singer, Javier Colon, to perform in Gallagher Bluedorn Performing Arts Center (GBPAC) at 8 p.m. Colon won the inaugural season of the TV show, “The Voice” in 2011; CAB was able to bring in Colon by attending the National Association for Campus Activities conference.

Senior communication major Jaimie Miller, the Homecoming Exec on CAB, explained this process.

“We go there every year, and that’s where we find our talent for different events throughout the year for different committees within our organization,” Miller said.

Another event open to students on the same night is the UNI Ballroom/Swing Club’s social, taking place at 8:15 at Towers West Lounge.

Sophomore leisure, youth and human services major and co-president of planning for UNI Ballroom/Swing, Nichole Aitchison, stressed the club’s welcoming atmosphere.

“If you have no dance experience, if you think you have two left feet, just show up,” Aitchison said. “You’re definitely going to leave knowing something you didn’t know.”

On Friday at 7:00 p.m., the McLeod Center will host McLeod Madness. According to the UNI Calendar of Events, the event is intended to showcase the UNI women and men’s basketball teams. The event will include: a dunk contest, 3-point shootout, skills competition, men’s basketball scrimmage and student contests. In addition, food and free T-shirts will be available.

Immediately following McLeod Madness, the Pep Rally will take place at 8:30 p.m. in the McLeod Center, also hosted by CAB. This will include: the Pride Cry finalists’ competition, the crowning of the Homecoming king and queen and the pep rally itself. Athletic teams will also be on hand to speak at the event.

Homecoming events on Friday conclude with Midnight Campaniling, which, according to the Rod Library website, is a tradition that dates back to the 1940s. Taking place every Friday of Homecoming Week, hundreds of students gather around the Campanile to kiss a fellow Panther at midnight. In honor of the long-standing tradition, the Book Bistro will be serving free coffee and Hershey Kisses at the Rod Library from 11:30 p.m. to 1 a.m..

On Saturday, Connecting Alumni to Students (CATS) will put on the annual Homecoming Parade, sponsored by University Book & Supply. The parade begins at 11 a.m. and will include outside businesses, as well as student organizations with decorated golf carts.

There will be a student tailgate held on Bender Field from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. before the Homecoming game. In addition, the UNI volleyball team will take on Drake at the McLeod Center at 7 p.m.

The College of Humanities, Arts and Sciences will be sponsoring a performance at the GBPAC by The Hot Sardines at 8 p.m. on Saturday night. Free student tickets are available; otherwise, tickets start at $29.

On Sunday, UNI Dance Marathon is hosting a Pancake Breakfast at the Wesley Foundation on College Street from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. UNI DM is an organization that raises money for the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital. According to senior biology major Cheyene Robertson, the director of fundraising, the group works with “upwards of 40 plus families that have been affected and gone through treatments.” The price of the breakfast is $5 and it will be all-you-can-eat.

Finally, the UNI soccer team will play Indiana State at the Cedar Valley Youth Soccer Complex on Sunday at 1 p.m.

Jamie Miller, member of the CAB, touted the importance of UNI’s annual Homecoming traditions.

“I think it’s important to get involved in homecoming events, because it brings students together,” Miller said. “I mean, you get to know all these people, and you get immersed into the UNI tradition. It’s just a really fun experience.”