UNI holds strong for third shutout

ZACH HUNTLEY, Sports Writers

The Panthers proved their worth away from home this week against the Loyola Ramblers. Taking them on at home, UNI defeated their opponents in Chicago this week in a 3-0 sweep—marking their third shut-out of the season.

Loyola kept things close for the beginning of the first set of the night. A kill by Kayla Haneline broke the team loose as UNI made headway on their opponent. Service aces by Panthers Kendyl Sorge and Heather Hook fueled the fire, and Amie Held landed an ace that ended the first set, 25-14.

Starting back, UNI battled Loyola throughout the first half of the second set. Multiple kills by Amie Held advanced the team as they gained momentum over the Ramblers. Holding back their opponents, UNI took the second set, 25-19.

The third set was no small victory for the Panthers. There was little room for error as the teams stayed within four points of each other the entire set. Kills by Piper Thomas, Amie Held and Bri Weber moved the team forward, ending 26-24, with a kill by setter Heather Hook.

Leading in kills were junior Kayla Haneline with 11, junior Amie Held with nine and freshman Bri Weber with eight. Freshman libero Kendyl Sorge and Held both took nine digs for the night, and Weber followed close behind with seven of her own.

After their victory, UNI lowered Loyola’s season record, 17-5, and advanced their own, 12-10. As a result of their match, both teams stand 6-3 in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Looking ahead, UNI takes on Evansville at 6 p.m. this Friday, and will be in Carbondale, IL to face Southern Illinois at 4 p.m. on Saturday.