UNI suffers from road tests versus Wichita, MSU

ZACH HUNTLEY, Sports Writer

The UNI volleyball team visited both Missouri State and Wichita State this weekend, falling in both matches. Taking on the Bears in Springfield, MO this Friday, the Panthers came up short with a 1-3 final score. Traveling to face the Shockers in Wichita, KS, UNI returned empty handed by a 0-3 margin.

With final set scores of 14-25, 22-25, 25-19 and 16-25, the Panthers performed well on an individual level.

Junior Amie Held and freshman Bri Weber both earned double-doubles against Missouri State. Adding 13 kills and 10 digs, Held also scored an ace against her opponent. In addition to Held’s 13 kills, Weber notched 13 kills of her own while scoring 11 digs against the Bears. Staying involved, Piper Thomas recorded 11 kills against Missouri State as well, matching her season-best in digs was freshman Kendyl Sorge with a total of 28.

On top of her performance against the Bears this weekend, Thomas was elected freshman of the week for the second time this season. Thomas is one of four Panthers to take this title twice in one season, joining her current teammates  Weber and Held.

For the first time since 2008, the Wichita State Shockers defeated UNI at home. Earning their victory by set scores 25-15, 25-16 and 25-20, Wichita State improved in the Missouri Valley Conference rankings, 12-2, while the Panthers fell, 9-6.

Coming into the home-stretch, the Panthers will be taking on three more opponents before the MVC tournament begins.

UNI will face Drake this weekend at 7 p.m. on Nov. 14 in Des Moines. Finishing out their season at home, the Panthers will face Bradley the following Friday, Nov. 20 at 7 p.m. in the McLeod Center. The match of UNI’s season will take place on Saturday, Nov. 21 against Loyola at 7 p.m.