Netflix binging season is upon us

KRT

“Grey’s Anatomy: Season One” (Buena Vista, nine episodes, two discs, $29.99) offers a look back at the beginning of the acclaimed ABC drama, and an intriguing look it is. (Courtesy of ABC/KRT)

KILEY COPPOCK, Staff Writer

With winter break approaching, it can only mean one thing: Netflix season. As college students, these last few days at school before break will be filled with homework, quizzes, papers and projects, followed by finals. But once Thursday, Dec. 18 rolls around, the only thing on our minds may be binge-watching Netflix.

If this sounds like your plan, take a look at some of the most recommended Netflix series and movies that are available to you. Collegetimes.com made a list of the top 10 best TV shows to binge watch all break long including the description given by Netflix, along with the ratings based on a scale of five possible stars total.

1. Lost- Strangers joined together on a doomed flight. An island filled with secrets. The answers may be deadly. Rating: 4 stars.

2. Family Guy- They’re a typical dysfunctional family. With a sociopathic baby. And a dog that’s smarter than all of them.

Rating: 4 stars.

3. Breaking Bad- A dying man makes a desperate bid to save his family. But in the meth trade, there are fates far worse than death.

Rating: 5 stars.

4. Mad Men- In the 1960’s, alcohol and sexual banter was just another day at the office. But the façade is about to crack.

Rating: 4.5 stars.

5. Orange is the New Black- Piper Chapman doesn’t deserve her prison sentence. Of course, everyone of her fellow inmates thinks the same thing.

Rating: 5 stars.

6. House of Cards- Is it true that absolute power corrupts absolutely? Congressman Frank Underwood absolutely intends to find out.

Rating: 5 stars.

7. Scrubs- Audacious interns in over their heads. They practice mischief and medicine while learning the ropes. Rating: 4 stars.

8. The Office- The boss is an idiot, the workers are clueless, elaborate pranks and feuds abound. Just another day at the office.

Rating: 4 stars.

9. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia- One Irish pub. Four unapologetic narcissists. Infinite varieties of hilariously offensive behavior.

Rating: 4.5.

Sadly, the 10th top rated show was “Suits”, but the series is no longer available to stream on Netflix. However, a related title is:

10. White Collar- A FBI agent offers a convicted conman a deal of a lifetime… because to catch a thief, sometimes you must be one.

Rating: 4.75 stars.

UNI students have confirmed that their Netflix viewing consists mostly of TV series. Of the 40 randomly selected students in Maucker Union, about 88 percent said they prefer to watch a TV series on Netflix rather than a movie. The top 5 TV series picked by these students are as followed, along with a description from Netflix.

1. Scandal- In Washington D.C., she’s the one to call if you need a problem to go away. But who will make hers disappear?

Rating: 4.75 stars

2. Grey’s Anatomy- Neither their patients’ problems nor their own relationships are black-and-white. It’s all shades of grey.

Rating: 4.25 stars

3. Friends- Love, laughter and the best friends you could ask for. Just like real life. But with really nice apartments. Rating: 4 stars

4. Parks and Recreation- An uber-ambitious public worker lights a fire under her apathetic colleagues. Hilarity is inevitable.

Rating: 4.5 stars

5. White Collar- A FBI agent offers a convicted conman a deal of a lifetime… because to catch a thief, sometimes you must be one.

Rating: 4.75 stars.

Students gave some honorable mentions that are not included on either list. These are as followed: One Tree Hill, Dexter, Law & Order: SVU, Prison Break and Criminal Minds.

However, if you are not one that is into the commitment necessary for a full TV series, there are plenty of movies or documentaries available for you to binge-watch as well. Whatsonnetflix.com gives a list of the top 5 movies in genres like comedy, drama, thriller, horror and romantic.

1. Chef- Who needs a four-star restaurant when you have a truck? Cooking with family really hits the spot.

Rating: 5 stars.

2. Django Unchained- A black gunslinger roaming the Old West. He’s looking for freedom and his wife. But he’ll risk anything for vengeance.

Rating: 5 stars.

3. Nightcrawler- A photographer makes his name with crime scene shots. His big mistake: going from shooting crimes to committing them.

Rating: 4 stars.

4. The Babadook- When a little boy gets ghoulish, a scary book pops up… turning bedtime stories into deadtime stories.

Rating: 3 stars.

5. Silver Linings Playbook- Their average day consists of football, dancing, and prescription meds—an unusual combo for an unusual duo.

Rating: 4.5 stars.

Of the UNI students who would rather watch a movie rather than a TV series, here is a list of some of their favorites:

1. The Loft- 5 married men. One deluxe loft for secret sexual encounters. And one murder with 5 prime suspects.

Rating: 3 stars

2. Forrest Gump- He’s a war hero, a mogul and a prophet. He’s not an intelligent man, but he leads a brilliant life.

Rating: 5 stars.

3. Coach Carter- Students first. Athletes second. And if you can’t get those priorities straight, you’re out. Even if it’s the whole team.

Rating: 4 stars.

Whatsonnetflix.com also gives input on the best documentaries on Netflix right now.

1. Blackfish- They’re hunted, herded and forced to dance. Meet a 15,000-pound slave—on edge of a psychotic break.

Rating: 5 stars.

2. Somm- The test of their professional lives is upon them. Wine isn’t just a job to these guys—it’s a lifestyle.

Rating: 4.5 stars.

3. Muscle Shoals- A tiny town. A giant sound. Meet the innovative man who changed music in the unlikeliest of places.

Rating: 5 stars.

This variety of TV show series, movies and documentaries that have been recommended by viewers, along with UNI students, should satisfy any type of Netflix cravings you are having. So study for finals, and look forward to the light at the end of the tunnel; Netflix binging is near!