Three Panthers earn titles

ZACH HUNTLEY, Sports Writer

Three UNI wrestlers were crowned with first place titles this past weekend at the Pat Flanagan Open. Taking on some of the area’s most skilled competitors, an additional four Panthers medaled in their individual weight classes.

Rallying from the 125-pound weight bracket, freshman Jay Schwarm continued to prove his strength this past weekend as he earned two major decisions, a decision and the fastest tech fall of the tournament, taken in only two minutes and 11 seconds.

The second first place title, weighing in at 174 pounds and claiming his sixth pin of the season, came from Taylor Lujan.

Starting off with a 2:11 pin in his first match, J.J. Everard fought for two more major decisions and secured his second heavyweight title of the season.

Claiming their spot at second place were freshmen Paden Moore and Isaiah Patton.

Moore, who competed for a shot at the 157-pound bout title, scored two decisions over his first two opponents and pinned his third competitor. He fell to the University of Iowa’s Logan Thompson, 9-5, in the final round.

Isaiah Patton won his first three matches before he fell to University of Iowa’s Burke Paddock in the fourth with a final score of 6-2.

Junior Tyler Willers recorded a tech fall, two decisions and a pin before fell to Wisconsin’s Eli Stickley in his fifth match of the night and earned the Panthers a third place medal.

Two victories by pin and three by decision led UNI’s Hunter Washburn to face Frank Corrozza of Coe College, which he then fell to by 9-5, earning a fourth place victory for the team.

The Panthers will be heading to Blacksburg, Virginia this Friday to take on the No. 12-ranked Virginia Tech. Following this meet, UNI will travel Norfolk, Virginia on Sunday, Jan. 17.