Ceramists bring “Women’s Work” to UNI

Iris Frasher

Ceramic artists featured in the “Women’s Work” include Lesley Baker, Kim Dickey, Eric Furimsky, Jae Won Lee and many others. Gallery hours are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and noon to 5 p.m. on Friday and Saturday

DANIELLE NARDINI, Staff Writer

“Women’s Work: An Insight into Nature, Beauty and the Domestic Object” hit the UNI Gallery of Art on Monday, Jan. 11 and will continue to be on display  through Tuesday, March. 1.

“Women’s Work” is an invitational group exhibition of ceramic artists curated by UNI professor of art, JoAnn Schnabel, and features artists from across the country. Artist Virginia Scotchie will present a lecture at 7 p.m. on Jan. 19 in the Kamerick Art Building, room 111. An opening reception will follow.

Participants include: Lesley Baker, Susan Beiner, Kim Dickey, Erin Furimsky, Kristen Kieffer, Jae Won Lee, Liz Quackenbush, Amy Santoferraro, Virginia Scotchie, Bonnie Seeman and Schnabel herself.

Darrell Taylor, director of the UNI Gallery of Art, looks forward to the influence the gallery will have on the community.

“The exhibition was created for the benefit of UNI ceramics students, students in general and patrons of the Gallery who follow, or are intrigued by, up-and-coming ceramics artists,” said Taylor. “All the work on display is new work by successful working ceramists, who in essence provide examples for our students on how to be a career artist.”

A variety of work will be featured in the gallery, but all include a common theme.

“All the exhibitors are women who are creating artwork dealing with perceptions of beauty, depictions of nature, and everyday domestic objects,” said Taylor. “Viewers can look forward to seeing challenging, colorful and ambitious artwork in a wide variety of styles. Some work is bold and humorous, some work is quiet and intricate; some work is abstract and highly textured.”

Later this spring, the Gallery will present “Race and Social Justice,” a UNI Permanent Art Collection exhibition curated by students from associate professor Elizabeth Sutton’s Early 20th Century Art course. It is associated with the campus-wide Reaching for Higher Ground “And Justice for All” programming. It will open during the “Women’s Work” exhibit and then March 21 – April 16 and April 25 – May 7.

All gallery events are free to the public. Gallery hours are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday, noon to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday and open by appointment. “