Cabell earns title, three other wrestlers earn spots on NCAA Tourney

ZACH HUNTLEY, Sports Writer

Coming home from the wrestling MAC Tournaments in Ypsilanti, MO, four Panthers earned a spot in the 2016 NCAA Championship — one of which was a first place victory from UNI’s very own, Blaize Cabell.

Securing his first victory of the tournament, Cabell defeated Missouri’s Cody Johnston in a 10-6 decision that advanced him to the semifinals.

Taking on Newton Smerchek of Central Michigan, Cabell earned his only major decision of the weekend, pummeling his opponent 15-6 and advancing to the finals.

For the tournament’s heavyweight title, Cabell took on Jake Gunning of Buffalo after defeating him two weeks ago and, in a tight race for first, earned his victory in a 6-5 decision — taking the only NCAA qualifying heavyweight spot in the MAC.

Two Panthers took second this weekend and earned their own chances at the NCAA title. 125lb. Dylan Peters and 157lb. Bryce Steiert both fell in their title matches.

Opening up his tournament visit with a pin, Peters earned a fall against Kent State’s Del Vinas in only 5:27. Taking a second victory of 9-5 over Shakur Laney of Ohio, Peters advanced to the finals and lost to No. 10 Barlow McGhee of Missouri with a 9-5 decision.

This will be Peters’ third trip to the NCAA Championships, this time ranked No. 5 in the nation.

Earning second in the MAC Tournament as a freshman was UNI’s Bryce Steiert. Opening up with a major decision by an 11-0 shutout, Steiert defeated Northern Illinois’ Andrew Morse to begin the weekend. Ranked No. 21, Steiert defeated No. 10 Luke Smith of Central Michigan in the semifinal upset, notching a 6-3 decision.

The fourth NCAA qualifying spot was earned by UNI’s Cooper Moore, who took third place overall in the 165lb. class. Moore began the weekend with a 13-6 victory over Northern Illinois’ Shaun McMurty.

Taking on Dakota Juarez in his second match, Moore fell in a tight 3-4 decision over his Eastern Michigan opponent.

Earning his consolation position with a 11-5 decision over Central Michigan’s Colin Heffernan, Moore went on to take third with a 4-1 decision over Ohio’s Austin Reese.

Finishing fifth overall in the MAC, UNI was only 2.5 points shy of third place, falling only to Central Michigan, Missouri, Ohio and Kent State.

All four qualifying Panthers will head to Madison Square Garden for the NCAA Championships in two weeks, which are scheduled for March 17-19.