Panthers send four wrestlers to NCAA championship, Peters finishes sixth

ZACH HUNTLEY, Sports Writer

As the 2016 wrestling season comes to a close, the Panthers improve in overall NCAA rankings, in addition to junior Dylan Peters finishing sixth in the nation.

For the second time in his three-year career as a Panther wrestler, 125 lb. Dylan Peters brought home All-American honors thanks to a sixth place victory from the NCAA Championships. Peters has competed in the championships all three years.

Starting off his race for the title, Peters won two matches in the regular bracket, including a 3-1 decision in a tiebreaker against No. 8 Barlow McGhee of Mizzouri.

Pushing forward for third place, Peters defeated No. 14 Joshua Rodriquez of North Dakota State University by a 2:26 fall.

Moving into his final match of the season, Peters took on Ryan Millhof of Ohio University. For his fastest fall of the season, Peters pinned the No. 5-ranked Millhof in 1:03.

Due to an injury, Peters forfeited his last two matches of the championships, leaving him to finish sixth overall in the NCAA.

Peters has earned his place as the 33rd Panther to earn at least two All-American honors within their time as a UNI athlete.

Four Panthers competed in the NCAA Championships, two of which defeated nationally ranked competitors in their respective weight classes, including Peters.

157 lb. Bryce Steiert made his first appearance at the NCAA Championships as a freshman and clinched three victories before he fell to the No. 6 ranked Joseph Smith of Oklahoma State.

Steiert’s first victory came from a 7-2 decision over Spartak Chino of Ohio State. As an a nationally unranked competitor, Steiert defeated Central Michigan’s No. 11 Luke Smith in a 4-1 decision.

Moving into the wrestlebacks, Steiert earned another victory before falling to Nebraska’s Tyler Berger.

Panther Cooper Moore made yet another appearance to the NCAA Championships this year. After earning a 9-4 decision over Mitchell Wightman in the 165 lb. bracket, Moore fell to No. 14 David McFadden of Virginia Tech.

UNI improved from the previous year’s standings. Finishing 34th in 2015, the Panthers advanced to 25th out of the 72 teams in the NCAA wrestling pool.