Personal records set at Bill Cornell Spring Classic

ZACH HUNTLEY, Sports Writer

The Panther track and field athletes have been pushing themselves to new limits this season, improving in both personal and team records.

Remaining consistent, the team continued that success in the Bill Cornell Spring Classic this weekend in Carbondale, IL.

Taking second in both the men and women’s discus, senior Chloe Schmidt and freshman Issac Holtz improved in MVC standings after their results in the classic.

Schmidt threw 151’ 4 3/4” to place herself second in the MVC. A personal best by Holtz, 171’ 1 3/4”, moved him into the second place rank as well.

In the women’s high jump, junior Chaley Rath placed second as she fell less than three inches short of first with a 5’ 5 3/4” leap.

In addition to her placement in the high jump, Rath also took fifth in the women’s javelin throw with a length of 105’ 4”.

A huge victory for Justin Baker came this weekend as he took first in the men’s hammer throw for UNI, reaching a new personal best of 209’ 1 1/4”, ranking him first in the MVC in addition to setting a university record.

Stepping up again in the shot put competition, Baker launched a 57’ flat, earning second in the classic.

Another first-place ranking came from junior Brette Correy with a personal best in the women’s 1,500 meter of 4:37.20. Right behind her was teammate Ashley Norem, taking second with a time of 4:38.71.

Taking both titles in the men’s and women’s 800 meter run was junior Dylan Eigenberger along with Correy.

Eigenberger’s 1:54.68 time was a personal best that ranked him No. 1 in the MVC. Correy’s first place finish also ranked her first in the MVC with a 2:13.16 finish.

A final two wins in the 400 meter dash were juniors Raheem Black and Jennifer Roberts. Black’s 54.80 finish and Robert’s 1:02.64 finish set the bar high for future legs to come.

UNI is currently competing in the Texas Relays and will be in Austin, TX until Saturday, April 2.