HLSU hosts authentic dinner and dance

IRIS FRASHER

Hispanic Latino Student Union held their annual formal, “Noche de Gala,” including an authentic dinner, keynote speaker Maximo Anguiano and dancing

CASEY ALLBEE, Staff Writer

On Saturday, April 9, the Hispanic Latino Student Union held their annual formal “Noche de Gala” which included dinner, entertainment, a keynote speaker and a dance that followed.

The HLSU began planning and fundraising for the night in November. This event has been taking place annually for over 20 years and was formally known as the “Latino Ball.”

The focus of this year’s Noche de Gala was to highlight the Mexican American culture as well as others in Latin America.

Alexis Alfaro, president of the HLSU, explained how far this event has come over the years.

“I think it is really amazing to see how each year gets better,” Alfaro said. “[These events] are improving every year and I am excited to see what is going to happen next year.”

The doors opened at 5:30 p.m. in the Mauker Union Ballroom and as the guests checked-in, appetizers and drinks were served until the dinner portion started at 6 p.m.

As guests took their seats, servers from UNI Catering brought out the main course of mole (pronounced moe-lay), a traditional Mexican dish, along with rice and refried beans.

Guests also had the choice between two traditional beverages; horchata, a rice water, or Agua de Pina, which is a pineapple water. After the main meal, desserts of tres leches cake and chocoflan were served. Tres leches is a type of sponge cake and chocoflan mixes flan and chocolate cake.

As guests enjoyed dessert, a ballet folklorico dance company from Sioux City called Estrellas de Jalisco took the stage.

The company performed a dozen traditional, Latin American dances with performers, ranging from grade school to high school. They where dressed in bright, colorful dresses and floral headpieces or cowboy hats.

The performances were energetic and the guests roared with applause after the company took their final bow.

After Estrellas de Jalisco left the stage, Jarret Ramones, a mariachi singer from San Antonio sang two traditional tunes and even encouraged guests to sing along to his second song.

HLSU then welcomed their keynote speaker, Maximo Anguiano. Anguiano is an “actor, creative personality, organizer, scholar and politico” from San Antonio. He is also the executive director of the Adelante U.S. Education Leadership Fund and founder of Independent Creative Services.

Earlier this semester, executive board members from the HLSU traveled to San Antonio and attended the Adelante Leadership Institute where they were able to meet Anguiano.

During his time on the stage, Anguiano spoke about the struggles that Latinos are facing in the United States today, the mentality that it takes to be successful and how to live the life that one wants.

“[If I can] share any of my personal formula for success, it would be: Keep it real and don’t ever forget about where you come from,” Anguiano said. “Do what you do and do what others can’t do and believe in yourself even when no one else is.”

He also explained how the Hispanic-Latino community needs to unite.

Priyasha Mahara, sophomore sociology major, said she really enjoyed the performances and the keynote speaker.

“He [Anguiano] was really…empowering and inspiring,” Mahara said.

“We as a community need to look for more ways to unify rather than divide,” Aguiano said. “We can do more together than separated and to be honest, people are jealous of our unity […] What this history suggests is that we have never really been taken seriously in this country, but that’s going to change. Trust me, that is going to change.”

Anguiano received a standing ovation from the audience after he closed his speech.

HLSU then recognized some of their members for their work throughout the academic year.

Andrew Jessip was named president and Chloey Arispe was named vice president for the 2016-2017 school year.

After the closing remarks, the evening became open to the public and the night continued with a dance. Many students and community members danced the night away to Latin American or Latin inspired music.

Rafael Loera, freshman Spanish Education major, commented on how he enjoyed the music variety.

“The music is great. It is a good representation,” Loera said. “It is a little of everything from different regions of Latin America.”

Reflecting on the evening, Sandra Pinedo, senior health promotion major, explained how she decided to support the event for multiple reasons.

“I thought it was going to be a lot of fun,” Pinedo said. “The culture and the opportunity to…hang out with other people and have fun. It has been excellent and really well organized.”