Iconic basketball legends inducted into NBA Hall of Fame

RYAN HERRING, Sports Columnist

College students, I imagine you all have those days where you see something from childhood and feel really old.

Well for NBA fans, this last Friday was one of those days, as we saw Shaquille O’Neal, Yao Ming and Allen Iverson inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame.

These were the hot shots dominating the NBA when we were kids and it seems like just yesterday these guys were on the covers of NBA video games.

I personally feel like O’Neal is the best of the three but that is definitely up for debate. O’Neal had a good start to his career by winning the Rookie of the Year award.

He went on to win four NBA titles while winning three NBA Finals MVP honors. He is seventh on the all-time scoring list, sixth all-time for shots made, 14th in rebounds and eighth in blocks in the NBA.
He was also elected to 14 NBA All-Star teams in the 20 seasons he played. Let the numbers speak for themselves, he is one of the most dominant players of all time.

Allen Iverson, otherwise known as “The Answer,” also started his career off with a Rookie of the Year title.

Iverson is known for his confidence, swagger and, most importantly, his nasty, ankle-breaking crossover.
He will go down as one of the greatest to play the game, but unfortunately will also go down on the list of greatest players to never win a championship.

Iverson was named the 2001 NBA MVP, finished his career with the seventh highest scoring average, and 23rd in all-time total points.

All that to go along with his stellar defense and 12th rank all-time in steals.

The 7’6” Houston Rocket’s center is one of the tallest players to ever play the game. For being as tall as he was, he was great passer and had a great basketball IQ.

Yao had a short NBA career due to injuries. He played eight seasons and was selected to eight All-Star games.

His career averages consist of 19 points per game, 9.2 rebounds per game and 1.9 blocks per game.

In only eight seasons, he still managed to become second in the Rocket’s all-time block list and sixth on the list for total rebounds and points.