‘No Shame Theatre’ student variety show

• Students gathered in the Communication Arts Center to take part in a “No Shame Theatre” variety show where five minute acts were performed.

MONIQUE SMITH, Staff Writer

No Shame is a night of hedonism and debauchery, with a light-hearted atmosphere based on mutual trust on a night without judgement. On Friday, Sept. 15, No Shame held one of its first events for the semester in the Communication Arts Center (CAC).

No Shame Theatre is a variety show that occurs every two weeks on campus at UNI and the event welcomes writers, comedians, musicians, poets, rappers, dancers, jugglers, magicians, speed-painters and so on. If it has an element of creativity or talent, it is welcome at No Shame.

The show has only three key rules all performers must follow in order to participate. Pieces must be 100 percent original, they must be under five minutes and must not break laws, space and people.

During this week’s No Shame variety show, students and alumni alike performed every five minutes.

There were all kinds of acts with varying elements of creativity and audience participation. The pieces were received by the audience with roaring rounds of laughter for their efforts.

Laura Steffen graduated from UNI as a communication major and found out about No Shame through friends. Steffen performed first with her piece ‘Nostalgia.’

“No Shame is a really great place, I love it,” Steffen said.

Some of the other acts that followed Steffen’s included Will Sutton’s piece ‘Emasculinity,’ Colleen Grady’s chalk drawing of three audience participants, titled ‘You’re gorgeous, Let me show you’ and ‘Vague Descriptions’ by Ryan Busch.

“No Shame made me want to have fun with comedy and be with a bunch of friends who will literally not judge you for anything,” said Colleen Grady, UNI graduate and studio art major in drawing and painting.

Many of the participants at No Shame are graduates of UNI who love the event and want to make sure others are aware of how beneficial it can be to their futures.

“No Shame has been a big part of my life,” said L.C. Kent, a graduate from UNI, who used to work on the board of No Shame. “No Shame continues to be the thing that I take solace in and because of No Shame, I now have a couple of scripts that are being optioned by an independent film company. So, I like to come back here to tell people why No Shame is a good thing and a stepping stone.”

Future No Shame events will be held in the CAC at 10 p.m. in room 108 for the following dates: Sept. 15, Sept. 29, Oct. 13, Oct. 27, Nov. 10, Dec.1 and Dec.8.