Symphony harmonizes with horror for Halloween

SYDNEY HAUER, Executive Editor | [email protected]

This weekend, UNI students will have the opportunity to enjoy some spooky sounds, along with horror-themed visuals in honor of Halloween.

Waterloo-Cedar Falls (WCF) Symphony will be presenting Nachtmusik with Gary Kelley on Sunday, Oct. 29, at 4 p.m. in the Gallagher Bluedorn Performing Arts Center (GBPAC) Great Hall.

A costume contest will also be held, and registration for that will happen from 3 to 3:30 p.m.

Gary Kelley is an alumnus of UNI’s art program, and his artwork will be projected as a visual narrative to go along with the music.

The concert will feature music from Mahler’s Seventh Symphony and music by other composers, such as Berlioz, Saint-Saens, Busoni and Gounod.

Jim Miller, co-executive director of WCF Symphony, said that he believes the performance will especially be of interest to both music and art students.

“Waterloo-Cedar Falls Symphony is so happy to offer this combination of visual art with live music,” Miller said. “And what a treat that UNI art alum Gary Kelley has prepared 30 original works of art to tell his version of this story. There are not many places in Iowa where you can experience a video such as this on a large screen. This visual art, combined with the orchestra sound in the Gallagher [Bluedorn] Great Hall, is something that every student should experience.”

Tickets for students are $10 and can be purchased at the UNITix office.