How students save time in their daily routines

LEZIGA BARIKOR

Caroline Hunkele, junior elementary education major, was one of several students who discussed some of their favorite time-saving strategies.

SARAH RITONDALE, Staff Writer

Even though students cannot add more hours to the day, some students on UNI’s campus have figured out a way to crunch their daily routines together to make time.

“When I wanted to relax but also study for my forensics class, I’d put on an episode of ‘Bones’ and try to name the bones or type of fracture or postmortem interval before the show did,” said Jamie Crispin, senior anthropology and criminology double major. “It was the easiest way to kind of study, but also binge watch Netflix.”

For students like Crispin, it is really important to be able to save as much time as possible.  Crispin said her involvement in activities and clubs all over campus makes her feel passionate about finishing what she needs to do, while still leaving time for herself.

On a less extreme scale than Crispin, Amela Osmic, senior economics and philosophy major, also finds it saves time to do what she is required to do while watching Netflix.

“I read a lot of my emails while I’m watching Netflix,” Osmic said.

Another student with a similar time-crunching schedule as Crispin and Osmic is Elizabeth Martin, senior quantitative economics and political science double major. Martin does everything to save time in her busy schedule from common tricks, such as finishing her online courses as quickly as possible, doing homework in class or studying her notes while walking around campus.

However, Martin also has some time saving ideas that are a little more abstract.

“I use voice text on my phone to write papers while in the bathroom, whether in the shower or on the toilet,” Martin said. “I also eat in class and refuse to take classes with professors that will not let me eat. I even learned a new way to tie my shoes to save time!”

Even students with schedules that are not as crazy as others still find ways to save as much time in their lives as possible.

“Last year, I would brush my teeth in the shower to shave off a couple of minutes,” said Katie Jerome, senior public relations major.

Like Jerome, juniors Annie Palmer and Katie Alger have come up with simple time savers so they have more time in their day to do what they enjoy.

“I listen to audiobooks instead of actually reading 90 percent of the time to save hours of my life,” Palmer said.

Alger employs a similar method, saying, “I watch videos for my classes or listen to audio books while I work out.”

Junior communication disorders major Kate Custis has found the most effective way for her to save time throughout her busy week is by meal planning.

“I do a lot of meal prepping on the weekends or make crock pot meals to save time during the week so I just have to heat stuff up during the week instead of cooking,” Custis said

Olivia Willoughby, junior biology major, mentioned her professor’s idea of how students can force themselves to study.

“My math professor suggested to keep flash cards in the bathroom so you are forced to study them every day!” Willoughby said. “My classes are less memorization, but I thought it was genius.”

Shortcuts also prove to be a common way for students to save time, especially those who live off campus.

“I cut through Bartlett Hall and use the mobile printing thing!” said Carlotta Dooley, junior marketing and management major.

Caroline Hunkele, junior elementary education major, also uses a shortcut to make it home.

“I take the bus when I really don’t feel like walking,” Hunkele said. “I live pretty far, so walking takes up a huge chunk of my time.”

“I think saving time is so important to me because I would rather be early and have as much time as possible to do my homework and stuff for classes without feeling rushed,” Jerome said. “When I finally do get free time, I try to prioritize my sleep or watch Netflix to relax.”