Panther Portrait: Halloween House

SOFIA LEGASPI, Campus Life Editor | [email protected]

Families and children from the UNI community flocked to McCollum Science Hall last Friday, Oct. 26 for the annual “Halloween House.”

The event was presented by the UNI chapter of the American Chemical Society (ACS) in partnership with the Physics Club, Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society, Sigma Gamma Epsilon Earth Science Honor Society, Pre-Med Club and UNI STEM Ambassadors.

Students from several science departments worked to put together 11 different shows going on simultaneously around the second floor of McCollum. Show titles ranged from “Frankenstein’s Lab” and “Mummies’ Yummies” to “Dirt Discoveries” and “Grossology.”

During three of the shows, “Devils’ Den,” “Witches’ Lair” and “Pirates’ Cove,” audience members were required to wear protective goggles as students demonstrated spooky science experiments.

Children could also participate in several hands-on activities as well as sample special treats like liquid nitrogen ice cream and dry ice root beer.

“Kids don’t understand how exciting science can be until they see it in action,” said Joseph Tibbs, co-president of the Physics Club and social chair of the ACS student chapter, in a press release. “There’s nothing like giving someone their first taste of the wonder that science can inspire. We have fun, the kids have fun and we all learn something.”