COVID-19 on campus: cases drop, more vaccination clinics planned

This+graphic+depicts+the+rate+and+number+of+COVID-19+cases+on+campus+as+well+as+other+statistics+regarding+the+ongoing+pandemic.+

Gabi Cummings

This graphic depicts the rate and number of COVID-19 cases on campus as well as other statistics regarding the ongoing pandemic.

ELIZABETH KELSEY, News Editor

As the spring semester concludes, UNI students are receiving their COVID-19 vaccinations and the prevalence of the novel coronavirus on the UNI campus is falling.

According to Student Health Center testing data released Friday, April 23 at noon, the 46 tests conducted from April 19-25 through the Student Health Center resulted in less than six positive cases, for an 8.70% campus positivity rate, as compared to 10 cases and an 11.11% positivity rate recorded during the week of April 12-18.

The positivity rate may change slightly today when the Student Health Center updates last week’s data to include any tests conducted on Friday. Since the end-of-week updates only include data collected through Thursday, Friday numbers are added to the weekly total by noon on the following Monday and are therefore not included in the NI’s weekly analysis.

The university also reported five self-reported student cases of COVID-19 from March 29-April 4, with no self-reported cases from employees. However, these self-reported cases may also be counted in the Student Health Center weekly totals and therefore, the numbers cannot be combined for a grand total.

Additionally, the university plans to host two more COVID-19 vaccination clinics on campus this week, using the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.

According to an email sent to the campus community on Thursday, April 22, the Student Health Center will offer vaccination appointments on Tuesday, April 27 from 9-11:30 a.m. or 1-3:30 p.m. and Wednesday, April 28 from 9-11:30 a.m.

These vaccinations are available by appointment only for students, faculty and staff as well as immediate household family members who are 16 and older. Those interested must be able to be present for the administration of a second dose on May 18 or 19, the same weekday and time as the first dose was given. 

To sign up for any slots that are still available, campus community members should call the Student Health Center at 319-273-2100.