“Bullet Train” movie review

THEO ALDER, Staff Writer

Are you trying to decide on a movie to watch on Student Tuesday or Thursday at Marcus Theatres? Look no further than spending only six bucks on “Bullet Train.” 

This film is reminiscent of the early 2000’s film “Kill Bill,” with a white, blonde American, in this case Brad Pitt, travels to Japan and attempts to kick ass. Although the blondes from both films do a kick-ass job in each action film, “Bullet Train” is a tad more forgettable then “Kill Bill.” “Bullet Train” tries to tackle so many stories and genres within one story that it can become overwhelming–but the movie does manage to tie each story together. 

It’s worth mentioning the film is absolutely star-studded. Along with Brad Pitt, he is also joined by Puerto Rican rapper and singer, Bad Bunny. Some other stars that join the cast are Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Joey King, Sandra Bullock and Logan Lerman. The list continues on because they weaved so many stories into it, Michael Shannon, Hiroyuki Sanada, Brian Tyree Henry, Zazie Beetz and Andrew Koji. And of course Ryan Reynolds and Channing Tatum both make cameos. 

Beside the star-studded cast, the plot of this film follows Brad Pitt’s character, Ladybug. Ladybug is walking with bad luck, he is in therapy trying to come to peace with things in life that can’t control. Ladybug is very aware of his mansplaining  and wants to overall be better. Unfortunately, he is an employed assassin. This film is very similar to Tarantino movies with it’s blood factor and vivid characters. 

The run time for this film did not need to be two hours and six minutes. But as action movies go this one satisfies and subverts many troupes. All in all, it’s an easy movie to watch if you’re looking for a simple action movie. The movie has wonderful music that gets the audience hyped up for the action. The cinematography is fine, nothing groundbreaking. I think that the story is well paced for its longer run time, I found the little bits very funny. The film takes place in one location much like “Bodies Bodies Bodies,” “Everything Everywhere All At Once” and “The Hateful Eight.” It uses props in its location well. This film delivers on its promises throughout the film; it eventually comes back like things it set up, but this isn’t a film that will make you rethink your life. It’s an action film that subverts the genre but it still delivers the goods of entertaining you. 

So if you’re scrolling through Netflix, look no further than “Bullet Train!” It’s a simple but clever plot, with a star studded cast! This could just be the thing to watch on a night in with with friends or that special someone.