Gallagher Bluedorn hosts Spectrum Project Spring Concert

El Proyecto Espectro vuelve a en persona en GBPAC por la primera vez desde 2020.

Gallagher Bluedorn Performing Arts Center hosted the Spectrum Project spring concert last weekend on Sunday, April 16 at 2 p.m. The Spectrum Project performance  combined  art, music, movement and drama for children with differing abilities from all over the Cedar Valley. The children ranged from ages 5 to 19, and the Spectrum Project’s staff included students from UNI, Allen College and Hawkeye Community College who work with the children. 

Jamie Knox is a junior at UNI studying vocal music education and was one of the dance instructors for the project. Knox had been working with the Spectrum Project children all semester to choreograph and teach dances. This was Knox’s first time being a part of the project, and it was also the first in person performance since 2019 because of the COVID-19 virus. 2020’s performance was made into a movie called “Play! The Movie”, which is available on https://www.spectrumproject.org. and the 2021 and 2022 shows were held online. “Due to the past few years being online, not many of the students on campus have had the opportunity to see or help with it so I am very excited that we are bringing this back to in person!” said Knox.

I’m most excited to watch the performers put on a spectacular show for their parents and fans. They have all worked so hard, and are so excited to show off their efforts. Watching them put these months of work into one stellar show is my favorite thing.

— Abby Wendland

Abby Wendland, a freshman studying instrumental music education, at UNI also helped create this year’s Spectrum Project performance. Wendland is the music director who has been working with the children’s music portion of the show, and picked the music that each group would perform to. 

With 2023’s show being in-person for the first time in four years, the performers, staff and the audience were all ecstatic to see the show back on stage. “I’m most excited to watch the performers put on a spectacular show for their parents and fans. They have all worked so hard, and are so excited to show off their efforts. Watching them put these months of work into one stellar show is my favorite thing,” said Wendland. 

With 32 performances split into four groups, the production wouldn’t be possible without all of the help and support of Knox and Wendland, along with the other instructors and Buddies, who are UNI students that work with the performing groups individually. 

The Spectrum Project started with the Spectrum Theater, which was founded by UNI Theater Professor Gretta Berghammer in 2012, and the first Spectrum concert was performed in 2015. The project itself is based off of the Ball State Prism Project in Muncie, Ind., founded by Ryan and Amy Hourigan in 2010. The Prism Project is described as “a performing arts program for Children with exceptionalities” and also offers children to work with music, dance, art and theater. 

While this year’s performance may be over, you can sign up to join next year’s Spectrum Project at https://www.spectrumproject.org to be a Buddy, an instructor or to simply learn more!