“See My Color”

BSU hosts Melanin Week
COURTESY/BSU
BSU Vice President Celia Emunah (pictured left) and BSU President Randy Whitfield (pictured right) table for BSU at the beginning of the semester. Both Emunah and Whitfield hope Melanin Week will help support and encourage students of color on campus.

“See My Color” is the theme of this year’s “Melanin Week” hosted by Black Student Union (BSU). The week consists of many events created by the student organization – all of which everyone is welcome to attend.

Randy Whitfield, the president of BSU said this week provides students with an opportunity to connect. 

“I feel like the purpose of Melanin Week is to give students of color, especially black students, a time they can be celebrated, recognized and encouraged. I love Melanin Week because it gives me a certain drive to finish out the semester strong.”

Celia Emunah, the vice president of BSU, said Melanin Week is a time to reflect and celebrate.

“It’s a time for us to embrace ourselves, our cultures and our traditions,” Emunah said. “I think as people of color on campus, sometimes it can be a little hard. It is a time for us to get together and just express that.”

BSU will be in Maucker Union today for their Melanin Week Bake Sale from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and on Thursday from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., BSU will be hosting a community service event   in the Scholar Space to make tie blankets for various charities. Finally, a Poetry Slam will be held on Friday from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m in Kamerick 123.

Emunah encourages everyone to check out these events for the remainder of the week, emphasizing everyone is welcome.

“BSU is open to everybody,” Emunah said. “It’s just a fun, inclusive environment. It’s a good way to meet people to get connected with different people. You can come to an inclusive, welcoming environment and just hang out.”

For more information about Melanin Week, follow BSU on Instagram @unibsu.