COVID-19 on campus: low positivity, case counts to start spring semester

Gabi Cummings

This graphic depicts the positivity rate on campus as well as other statistics regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.

ELIZABETH KELSEY, News Editor

As UNI students returned to campus for the first time in two months, this week’s COVID-19 update from the UNI Student Health Center showed low positivity rates and case counts, although the number of total tests administered was also quite low.

According to data released Friday, Jan. 29 at noon, the 30 tests conducted from Jan. 25-31 through the Student Health Center resulted in less than 6 positive cases, for a 6.67% campus positivity rate.

The university also reported 7 self-reported student cases of COVID-19 during the same period, with no self-reported cases from faculty. However, these self-reported cases may also be counted in the Student Health Center weekly totals and therefore, the numbers cannot be combined for a grand total.

The positivity rate may decrease slightly today when the Student Health Center updates last week’s data to include any tests conducted on Friday. Since the end-of-week updates only include data collected through Thursday, Friday numbers are added to the weekly total by noon on the following Monday and are therefore not included in the NI’s weekly analysis.

New this semester, the NI will also be tracking the number of COVID-19 vaccines administered by both Black Hawk County and, once administration begins on campus, by the UNI Student Health Center.